Building future resilience for Asia Pacific
Future of Work Lab is an innovation hub to progress the Future of Work Agenda as well as facilitates South-South Cooperation to share knowledge, experiences, and expertise to partner countries of the Global South. The lab addresses the changing nature of work, workforce and workplace and carries out research to learn, test and develop solutions which are monitored through a collective intelligence system to respond and reconstruct when needed. It was launched by Ms. Kanni Wignaraja, UN Assistant Secretary-General, Assistant Administrator & Director of the Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific on July 2020 in a virtual conference of global entities from different Governments, UN agencies, INGOs,
Business organizations and Skills providers.
As a result of 4th Industrial revolution, pressures have been further accelerated in the form of:
- Automation of repetitive manual and non-manual jobs;
- The ‘demographic dividend’ window closing around the 2030 timeline for SDGs;
- An increasingly ageing population;
- Changing consumer demands and business models.
In this context FoW Lab commits to consistently narrowing the supply and demand gap, advancing on evidence-based policy making, developing a long-term financing strategy in support of future resilience, building shared responsibility and accountability with the private sector, developing a long-term financing strategy in support of future resilience, building shared responsibility and accountability with the private sector, embedding economic, social and environmental resilience and leveraging digitalization to build skills/employment/entrepreneurship continuity.
The Key Focus Areas:
- Managerial Skills Development
- Safe Migration
- Sectoral Approach
- Collective Data Intelligence to Inform Policy
- South-South Cooperation
The collective intelligence platform to deploy future of work strategies through National Skills Portal are:
- Central Youth Database
- SSO and Reusable Modules
- Skilled and safe migration
- New job/profession forecasting
- Real Time Data Sharing (Supply-Demand)
- Course information and application
- Career guidance and mentorship
- Returnee Migrant Database